Thursday, June 9, 2011

Example #2
A kid came into the store and wanted the video game 187 Ride or Die. This is a shoot 'em up, knock 'em down, impregnate 'em, kinda game that is rated M for Mature. This kid was maybe 10. He was in there with his elderly grandmother, who would know about as much about video games as our Grandma (No offense Grandma.) Wait, I take it back our Grandma, may know more. Anyhow, I took him to the back and got the game for him. As we were walking up to the counter this conversation occurred.
Me: "You do realize that the game you want is rated M so, I have to ask your guardian's permission before I can rent it to you. Right?"
Kid: "Yea. I know, but you can tell her that it is rated E."
Me: "Let's go up to the counter."
Kid: "You're gonna tell her it is rated E right?"
I get up to the counter and hand his Grandmother the game hoping that I wouldn't have to say anything and that she can read the rating for herself and that I won't have to say anything. Of course that isn't what happened afterall, this is the retail world we are talking about.
Me: "Ma'am do you have your Blockbuster card with you?"
Lady: " Yes, I do. But, this game looks violent is it?"
Me: "I've never played it so I don't know the extent of the violence. But, I know it has some to earn the rating that it has."
Lady: "What is the rating?"
Me: (Kid starring at me with the most hateful look you have ever seen at this point.) "Did you see the rating on the side of the box?"
Lady: " I did, but I am not sure what the W. Rating is."
Me: (In my head saying, 'Damn, she really is not with the video game thing. This is wrong. I am just gonna tell her. {Kid getting jittery and basically trying to find something to throw at me.}) "That is not a W it is a M."
Lady: "What does the M stand for?"
Me: ( I knew I had no choice.) "Mature. More or less it isn't made people under 16."
Kid: "Grandma, I don't do what they do in the games. I want the game. The stupid lady doesn't know me to say that I am not mature enough to be 16. I want the game. If I don't get the game I will make you really feel bad."
Me: "Would you like me to ring it up for you?"
Lady: "No, thanks. I am glad you told me. Boy, let's go."
After they left the mom came in and demanded to know from me and my boss why I wouldn't lie to the child's grandmother so he could get the game.

Written By Stephanie
Published by Arnold

No comments: